I’ve used herbs in multiple forms for a long time in medicine and food. This will be just a quick list of herbs I use in my spiritual practice.
- Lavender. So much lavender.
- Pine (needles and bark).
I’m sure there are others but that’s off the top of my head.
My preferred forms are fresh, dried, oils (essential and infused), and teas (which..fresh or dried). I prefer wildharvested; when I can’t find locally I order from Mountain Rose Herbs in Oregon. I infuse my own oils, buy essential preferably from small distillers (obviously though I have a lot of Now brand as that’s what I could find at the time I needed them). I have a lot of herbs in our chest freezer as well (like vanilla bean).
I feel like I should show a photo or two of resources (not witchy I’m afraid) and storage. I’m so disorganized.
Rituals have always been important to me. Simple rituals I do regularly are:
- Evening bath a couple times a week. Cleansing frustrations that go down the drain. Adding oils and/or salts as appropriate.
- Morning coffee. Basic. Not much paganism attached to this except a basic will to live is fortified in the morning.
- Weekly safe or incense burning. I prefer to do this after a weekly cleanup, after everything is swept and vacuumed (which in itself is a ritual- I cleanse my space, sweep out bad energy, replace my space with good to follow through the next week).
- Moon rituals. I follow the cycle, recognize each change. At a full moon I have a cleansing bath, set out my crystals on the south facing windowsill, and burn papers of things I want to release from my mind. At a new moon I like to set intentions for the next month, and burn paper.
- I burn a lot of paper of things I want to release. When I need to.
- Journaling. Writing helps me release pressure and overwhelming emotions onto paper. I don’t like to burn my journals though.
- Nature walks. I live 15 miles away from pristine national forest. We hike, camp, harvest wild herbs, and cut wood for heat. While we are there I like to tune into the earth. I pretty much find places whenever we travel as well.
- Sabbat rituals. Food, candles, spending time outside, incorporating rituals to center, ruminate on cycles, and requesting of the universe specific energy.
So those are the big ones!